[meteorite-list] angrites unlikely to be Mercurian

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 23 23:35:45 2005

Dear List,

In regards to this post, here are a few items that I feel are open for
debate;

I think albedo measurements for large bodies in space are misleading. The
Martian albedo, for instance, mainly fails into the red spectrum indicating
very oxidized iron-rich material. If the Martian albedo was used to match
meteorites with their parent bodies we would have no meteorites from Mars
using this qualifying technique. Large bodies are coated with a regolith
that differs from the material at deeper levels so, then again, this is a
poor way determine composition of most very large objects. Its like trying
to look inside a brown paper bag by looking at just the color of the bag
itself, doesn't make any sense to me. Crater counting was also proven to be
misleading. Mercury has been hit so many times that traces of early impacts
have all been wiped out. What good is crater counting when you reach the
saturation point? In my opinion, Mercury should have been among the first
planets to solidify because of its very high temperature refractory
components and relatively small size. This would argue in favor for the age
of Angrites. There is a lot open for debate but I feel that by sometimes
thinking outside of the box that new discoveries will be at hand.

Take Care,

Adam