[meteorite-list] angrites unlikely to be Mercurian

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Dec 24 07:46:05 2005

Melinda:

I agree with you that the angrites cannot have come from the present surface
of Mercury. However, something happened to the original surface of Mercury (in
most models) and so what happened to that material?

Just a thought. If you stripped off the crust of Mercury (an impact similar to
the formation of the Moon), could you have formed a few "aseroids?" Then the
cosmic ray exposure ages date from the breakup of the "asteroids." If you can
form the Moon by an impact, why not a few objects in orbit around the Sun? We
need to look for asteroids inside the orbit of the Earth.

Sorry, I sound like Immanuel Velikovsky who believed that Venus was a comet
that came out of Jupiter and created the Great Red Spot. No, I am not
supporting that idea!

Larry

Quoting mhutson_at_pdx.edu: