[meteorite-list] Is Brahin a ruster ?

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 7 15:24:24 2005

Hi!

I got a full slice six months ago. When I got it it had already started
to rust all over under it's coat of lacquer. Sadly it had broken in the
freight so I removed a small piece of it (20g) to start experimenting
on. I sanded off all the lacquer and cleaned it in isopropyl alcohole,
used as antifreeze in lorries to dry the compressed air.

To see how stable it was I really mistreated it. I polished it,
I etched it, polished it again. I even carried it around a week
in my wallet. After the wallet it developed one small spot of rust.
During this time I did check it regularly with a microscope to
see if something happened.
To stop the rusting in the big 2/3 slice that was untreated
I dried it in an oven at 70 C over night and then put it in an
airtight container. It hasn't rusted any more.

So I think Brahin is a ruster depending on the environment and
humidity.

My next step is to try treating it electrolytically to remove any
chlorine in it.Mistreat it a bit more and see if it made any
difference.

Regards, G?ran