[meteorite-list] Is Brahin a ruster ?

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 7 17:31:32 2005

Hi Lars,

Brahin is untreated a hefty ruster like Brenham.
With two of the main suppliers of Brahin I made the experience
that Afanasjev (cometshop) did a good job in varnishing his slices.
My oldest slice from him I had for almost 7 years without any problems
and many others I had in stock for 2years and more without developping a
single trace of rust.
Once I was curios, grinded off the varnish and the slice started to rust and
to swell within a few weeks.

>From the other supplier Koutyrev (finmet) I know only, that he advertized
his slices in former times to be stabilized with a "new method" and with the
gimmick, that you can keep them even in salt water without any effect.
I never took from his Brahins, but heard from several of my collector
fellows as well as from some dealers too, that they were indeed stable and
goody-goody.

To be sure, one should choose a member of the Eagle-Station-grouplet, with
their 15%+ Ni, they should be the most stable ones among all pallasites, but
they are difficult to get and not even cheap...

Cheers!
Martin