[meteorite-list] Opinions wanted on an NWA

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 10 00:15:00 2005

I have taken one of the unclassified NWAs that I bought in Dean's "not going to Tucson" sale and,
not having a diamond saw, sanded the flattest surface with several grades of sandpaper to get a
window into the stone.

It has a very dark matrix with very little metal in tiny flecks. There are few if any visible
chondrules and a small number of clasts. It has several cracks passing through it (only one of
which, the largest, was visible through the fusion crust) and has a tracery of tiny black veins and
tiny black "pockets" throughout.

Any ideas as to "casual" classification? I'm sure that it isn't an "H", but does the absence of
noticable chondrules/presence of black veins signify shock melting?

The contrast has been jacked up quite a bit in these scans to bring out the details. Note
especially the black veins in the upper right.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/unc_nwa_thumbnail.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/unc_nwa.jpg