Re-2: [meteorite-list] "L o s t" orders

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Feb 11 22:16:58 2005

In a message dated 2/11/2005 2:07:08 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de writes:
No, Mike's package *was* labeled with something like "Specimen for study.
No commercial value" and still we ran into this mess. When I got my beautiful
Tambo Quemado from Eric Twelker, I had to drive downtown to the customs
office (16 km and back again = 32 km) and I had to explain to them why this
was an "educational piece" - otherwise I would have had to pay customs fees.

And it is not just meteorites!!!
I sent a nice leather jacket to my father for Christmas. The package was
labeled "Christmas gift", and "clothing". The package took 4 weeks to get
there, arrived in fine shape, but he had to pay 50Euros in Custom Duties.
And the package was stamped as "Cleared by German Customs". He lives in
Lyon, France.
I don't understand that!

For the last year or so, I have been sending all my international packages
by Global Priority Mail. Not very expensive, and so far all my packages have
arrived quickly and in good shape. Even the one that went to Australia before
being re-routed to Austria.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com