[meteorite-list] Re: Tucson 05 Retrospective; Exactly why this list needs moderation.

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Feb 16 20:53:04 2005

Geoff Cintron posted:

> If I were Geoff I would be damn mad that
> this idiot could get away with hijacking my thread

Dear Geoff and List:

Thanks for that. Nice to see you posting to the List again : )

You are right, I was very angry. Like you, I was looking forward to
hearing about other listees' experiences in Tucson -- not yet another
round of this meteorwrong B.S., so I wrote a brutally sarcastic reply
to DeRusse last night, and then I didn't bother to post it . . .
because he and his Soggy Bottom Meteorite Country Bumpkin Boys
evidently crave the attention. They don't seem to be able to tell a
meteorite from a cow pocky, and no matter how many universities tell
them that their "meteorites" are lame old river rocks, they just keep
on with it. I really wouldn't care -- it's their time to waste --
except for their cruelty towards Dr. Ehlmann who, as you know, is a
friend of mine.

Why on earth would somebody post nasty made-up things about our Dr.
Ehlmann -- an eminent geologist and universally liked and respected
scientist -- not to mention, a Harvey Award winner? Because they're
jealous? Because their heads are full of compacted grey dust that
"must" be from the moon since it's *grey* dust? Because they are so
useless in the field that they can't find a real meteorite? Who knows,
but it's got to stop.

List members, please make your views on this matter known immediately
to the List Moderator. Email me off-List if you need his email address.

Hey DeRusse, I will answer your question about the "nomination
procedure": The mighty Harvey Awards Committee (of which I am very
honored to be a founding member) decides who receives the meteorite
collecting community's awards each year. The only qualifications we
have are the friendship, good humor, and respect of our peers . . .
things I'm afraid you won't experience in this lifetime.

Geoff N.
Harvey Awards Committee Member and pleased to be considered a friend of
Dr. Ehlmann