[meteorite-list] "Kids reach for the moon... and touch..." well, they touch a piece of plactic.

From: Martinh <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 17 13:15:39 2005

Hi Darren and All,

The article is highlighting the Lucite (not plastic) disks NASA makes
available for teachers. Of course it is hard compare tiny specks of
Antarctic meteorites to those chunks most of us pass around to classes,
but in reality, the disks are pretty darn cool! Especially the lunar
disks.

Some of the NASA workshops I help instruct certify teachers to use the
disks and thus generate the paperwork for Headquarters (JSC actually)
so a teacher can request the disks for use in their classroom. Every
time I work with the disks, I am still impressed with them, Lucite and
all.

However, like many kids who get to work with the disks, the extreme
security issues surrounding their classroom use lends itself to tall
tales about the value and rarity of the disks; which in reality are
only insured for the cost it took to make them.

In fact, I suspect that many on this list are certified to receive the
disks for use in their classes. Anyone have stories to share?

Cheers,

Martin H.