[meteorite-list] Revovered(Recovered) weight of GIBEON

From: meteoriteplaya_at_comcast.net <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 17 13:17:30 2005

Hi Bernd, Sara & List

One point I would like to make is that all anyone can do is estimate a number as Bernd has done. In writing the main section of "Meteorites from A to Z" I include TKW. I wanted to try to come up with numbers that were up to date. For Gibeon I added the TKW (based on adding distributions) of the Catalogue of 33000 kg and figured at least 17000 kg more had been recovered and were not reported. So I used the number 50000+ kg.

For Campo del Cielo I have 10000+ kg but already had a note to change to 50000+ kg for the next edition. My guess is it is over 60000 kg. If I were setting up a display I would recommend that one note it is an estimate no matter what number they use. For example 50 t estimated or ~ 50 t or >50 tonnes.

You might also remember the most people me included have no idea of what 10000 kg of a meteorite is in terms of size. So being off by 10000 kg or more does not mean too much. Probably the only reason to be as accurate as possible is to create a list of the largest falls by weight.

In case anyone is interested I have created a list of the largest 15 individuals by weight for the iron meteorites. It includes lots of pictures. Here is the URL if you want to check it out;
http://jensenmeteorites.com/largestmeteorites.htm

Hope that helps.

Mike
--