[meteorite-list] Re: Blood Auction Results

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Feb 18 05:52:43 2005

Hi,

it's a little bit strange. Every auctioneer or auction house publishes the
results, even such like Christie's, Sotheby's ect, which deal with much more
sensible, unique and expensive items as meteorites are. I see there no
problem, as long as the anonymity of the buyers is respected.
Wasn't it a public auction, where everyone could take part in?
Thus were is the problem, no need for secretiveness, wanna see the results!
Or call it next time a private, silent, secret auction.
If a coin, art, stamps, antiquities, antiquy, car, real estate dealer would
go to an auction, telling the organizer: But keep the results secret! - they
would tell him, that he has bats in the belfry.
Even on our beloved ebay, the lowest level of an auction, everybody can see
the outcome of an auction.

And with all respect for your occupation with the meteorite market and your
always fine to read column in The Meteorite Times, and please don't get me
wrong, the influence of auction prices on the market or the wrong or right
interpretation of these prices by others, is really not the cup of tea of an
auctioneer.

If some collectors or dealers fear, that the prices could be seen in public
or customers later would be able to identify by the specimen the price they
had pay for - they just shouldn't take part in public auctions.
As it would be such a surprise for a customer, that a dealer makes some
profit in selling meteorites! A fact, which seems only here in Germany seen
by some people to be unethical.

Now I'm curios for the results!
Buckleboo!
Martin