[meteorite-list] Ad - Please Ignore!!!! Way off topic!!!! Statingthe OBVIOUS!??

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Feb 18 09:15:37 2005

Dirk, Anita and List,

wrong. This cubes are giving a scale for the viewer of the picture being
able to estimate the steric dimensions, the size of the specimen. They are a
cubic centimeter.
They are more suitable for size comparation as for instance holding the
piece in the hand on the picture, as I suppose f.e. Steve Chicago's palm is
larger than mine or yours.
Nor are coins suitable, as many international interessents are browsing the
auctions and in general an American bidders does not know, how large a
1Euro-coin is (nor do Europeans as it was introduced as recently as in
2002 ) and vice versa most Europeans don't have a dime at home.

Well in meteoritics the measures are metric, but if we ask Mr.Scherff,
perhaps he'll supply us with inch-cubes?

For making a science "show" as Dirk suggests, one should use gloves, fancy
white smocks and huge shell-rimmed glasses and present the specimen in a
glass bell.

The denomination "planetary" I understood with my poor English always as a
synonyme for "differentiated" meteorites like Mars, Moon, HED
unlike undifferentiated material from small asteroids.
Is this correct?

The excessive use of "rare", "unique", "limited quantity" and the lack of
scaling the attributes in describing the pieces -I've the impression, that
if one buys from ebay a piece, which is praised as "beautiful" or "nice",
that one get a trashy, crappy specimen. And those which are nice, are
"killer" "splendid" "marevellous" ect. so that the sellers may get problems
in finding adjectives on the other end of the scale, in the case they really
have an extraordinnary beautiful piece.

Buckleboo!
Martin