[meteorite-list] OT: cubes and their history? Contest with Prize!!!

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 19 10:07:43 2005

List,
  The NBS (Nationial Bureau of Standards) US maintains
the universal standard cubic centimeter as well as
all standards, metric and US standards in their very
precise, expensive and highly guarded collection.
Most likely many other countries have their own
Standards collection.
  The history of the use of a cube dates at least to
4000 B.C.? or earlier in Egyptian culture...in the
form of dice? and building blocks; but was not only
unique to their culture. Early Chinese also had their
standard cube by at least 2000 B.C.
  The "idea" of the cube probably came from observing
natural cubic pyrite or other minerials with a cubic
habit.
  The first use of the cube associated with meteorites
perhaps was by the Japanese in Antartica. Caveat: I
may be incorrect.
  Quiz: Do cubic forms exist in meteorites and in
which minerials? A prize will be rewarded for the
most correct and detailed answer. Thank you and cube
on, Dirk Ross....Tokyo