[meteorite-list] Mud Dry Lake old find

From: Norman Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 20 10:27:27 2005

Paul,

I spent a day out there last week. For starters, you
can skip the word "dry". Mud Lake is a full lake this
year. If anyone was planning a trip there, give it a
miss--- A lot of the central Nevada lakes are still
pretty muddy although most have parts that are
accessible.

I'm not positive, but I think the view in your photo
is looking northward, which would place the impact in
the southern part of the lake, well within the
restricted test range.

Even the north shore (outside the Nevada Test Range)
can be too close for comfort. I picked up about 10
pounds of 50 caliber machine gun bullets and one large
(unarmed) bomb casing! I had a county sheriff (former
Air Force guy) check out the bomb. In a classic
Nevada twist, he introduced himself as "Bubba"---

No meteorites though.

Cheers,
Norm
(http://tektitesource.com)

PS: We just completely updated our Besednice
moldavite page yesterday and pieces are already moving
out--- There are some great specimens.

http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/MEDIUM/GPN-2000-000120.jpg