[meteorite-list] Let DeRusse alone

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 20 08:39:07 2005

Hi Matteo (and list),

don't bother anymore. I'm not a psychatrist, but this deRusse-thing, seems
to be a typical case were a person can't accept the truth and is getting on
the wrong track, trying to find an explanation for each obstacle, which
could destroy his dream, inventing more and more complicate constructions,
as unlikely they may be, loosing more and more the contact to reality,
running finally into a dead-end.
Their behaviour seems to me to be more pathological than criminal.

I'm telling this not to disregard this person, as it's a typical strategy to
attack an adversary in stating that he's ill, but I remember a similar case,
which I have to call a kind of human tragedy.

Years ago a guy contacted me (and I'm sure he mailed also to several others
from this list),
who was believing, that he had found Mars meteorites. He send me video tapes
with his finds, there showing the stones describing them with all attributes
of meteorites, but hey were rocks, who even had fossils inside!!
I couldn't help that boy, it was to late.
What happened?

He found those stones on a shore, as there were no similars and somewhere he
heard about Mars meteorites, he sent some samples to NASA labs. He never get
an answer (impossible behaviour in my opinion) and they didn't send him back
his stones.
Some weeks later, there was announced that in that ALH were discovered
evidence of life on Mars in form of fossil bacteria in that stone, he saw
Clinton on TV holding his speech about,
life can be so cruel, and of course he thought that Nasa betrayed him, stole
his discovery and that this shells ect. in his stones were marsianic
fossils, additionally of course he thought to be a millionnaire now. He
started to write and to send his samples to all institutions he could find
and in the beginning nobody answered, because they thought that he's a poor
fool, instead to be so kind to explain him, why his stones aren't meteorites
at all.
As there came no feedback and the ALH was still in the media and in
discussion, he started to believe in a governemental conspiracy and behaved
very similar paranoic like DeRusse,
leaving more and more reality, so that later, when some tried to tell him
and to proove that his stones are not that, what he thought that they are,
he didn't trust anymore.
He had quit his job and spent all his time in diving for this worthless
stones.
This is certainly a plot for a novel and you may find it funny, I felt mercy
with him as he was a very nice guy.

I see a strong analogy to that deRusse-issue, it can not excuse their harsh
personal attacks to others,
but it can explain them,
so, I think, as it's to late with them too, one should let them in their own
world.

Martin