[meteorite-list] I'm going to start scouring California Dry lakes.

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 21 00:07:45 2005

Hello All,
Norm's pretty right -- the deserts out here may be good for finding a
single meteorite, but they are not too profitable.
With my experience, I'd have to say that an experienced hunter will
find a single stone after about eight hours of hunting (only on a very
good surface). The average stone is probably five grams or less.
After analysis you are left with less than three grams. That means
that even if you could find a good site, manage to find a meteorite
and manage to sell your find to someone for $100 per gram, that you
would be left with $300. The cost of a hotel room is ~$50 gas is
~$2/gallon and food/drinks are probably no less than $15 per person
per day. That leaves you with a maximum of ~$200 on a good day. On
average, about a quarter of the days spent hunting will turn up
nothing.
At an average of ~$150 per day, most days of the year will be spent
walking twenty or so miles in 100 degree+ (often upwards of 120
degrees in the shade -- add ten or so degrees in the sun...) heat.
Somehow it doesn't seem like too good a way to make some money.
You should also note that it usually takes most people a good few
trips for to find their first meteorite...
It's only worth it if you're completely insane...or...bitten by the
meteorite bug...
Regards,
Jason
Finder of many...