[meteorite-list] Meteorite hunting in Spain vs. USA deserts

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Feb 23 23:26:31 2005

John Gwilliam wrote:

> The die-hard hunters have developed a simple philosophy " just dig
> it."

That's the policy I have - you never know when you'll find a nice gold
nugget or other valuable items.

Martin Altmann wrote:

>>as in Spain there is the only desert in Europe, the Desierto de
>>Tabernas.
>>Never was there. On the pictures I saw from, I couldn't find a
>>suitable
>>terrain.

I was afraid that would be the case. :-( But you never know, it may be
worth the struggle as I hear the Glorieta Mountain area is very steep in
areas...

>>In Europe everything is full of metal and slags. Thousands
>>years of settlement, agriculture, metal melting, wars - if one only
>>thinks
>>how much metal the last two world wars pumped in the soil. You'll find
>>everything from Roman coins, medieavel or antique slags, bullets from
>>Thirty
>>years war, nails from bronze age, but no meteorites.

Sounds like stuff worth digging, but I'm sure there are a lot of legal
problems in such instances. Thousand year old trash doesn't bother me,
but there are some area's I woudn't bother detecting (but in such cases
there are rewards in doing so).

Happy Meteorites,

Mark