[meteorite-list] NPA 05-16-1860 New Concord Meteorite (...has some fragments)

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 23 12:43:44 2005

Paper: The Progressive Age
City: Coshocton, Ohio
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 1860
Page: 2 (of 4)

     - The Zanesville Courier says the latest theory of the origin of the
Meteoric Stones is that they are fragments of the Charleston Convention.

(end)

     WORTH SEEING - We had a very pleasant visit the other evening at the
neat and handsome cottage of our young bachelor friend, David Johnson, and
took a survey through his splendid and varied cabinet of curiosities, which
he has been collecting for several years. We were much surprised at the
great number accumulated in so short a time. He has them arranged with
great care, neatly labelled and in their proper place. The history of each
and every article he had at his tongue's end.
     His cabinet consists of minerals, fossils, natural history, Indian
relics, and curious manufactures from heathen and other foreign countries,
fine specimens of gold bearing quartz from California, Lake Superior copper,
fossil teeth and jaw of the mastodon, found on Willscreek in this county;
fossils of every description from the coal-fields and a Mammoth Cave stuffed
rattle snake; a case containing a great variety of curious bugs from China;
old English fire-arms, blunderbuss and sword, brought to this country many
years ago from England by Maynard.
     He also has some fragments of the meteoric stones which fell in
Guernsey county a few days since.
     Now, that one of our citizens has taken the trouble and expense of
fitting up a suitable place for the preservation of curiosities, it behooves
us all to contribute our mite to fill it, and we advise the citizens of the
country generally, who have anything rare or curious to send it to Mr.
Johnson. At this season of the year, while our farmers are plowing, many
things may be found which may be of interest to future generations. Quite a
number of little relics have been found since the late flood, which might go
a great way to increase this cabinet, were they all together.
     Mr. J. takes great pleasure in showing his visitors through his cabinet
and giving them any information as to the particular origin of each and
every article.

(end)

Mark Note: The "WORTH SEEING" article refers to "fragments of the meteoric
stones", which is the New Concord meteorite. This meteorite fell in
Muskingum county, Ohio on May 1, 1860 at 12:45 p.m. More then thirty
pieces, 227 kg., of this L6 stone chondrite was recovered. (Reference:
Meteorites A to Z: Second Edition).

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now. You can also
use the NPA for e-mail filtering if desired.