[meteorite-list] OT help, GPS, DOD

From: Tom Knudson <peregrineflier_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 2 16:01:49 2005

Hi List, someone asked me this question, and since the list has so many
people, who between them knows just about everything, I thought I would ask
you!

During desert storm, the DOD often shutdown the GPS satellites at various
times, because Iraq was using them also. The question is: Since we know that
the DOD and the United States own the satellites, why is it that everyone
and their dog are allowed to use it as well? Is it because there's no way to
put a transponder on each satellite? If so why not??

Thanks, Tom
peregrineflier <><