[meteorite-list] A statement in regards to NWA 3133

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 2 16:43:38 2005

Dear List:

I just want to make a few points clear since NWA 3133, one of our meteorites
was brought up again. We spend a lot of time and money researching our
material and all of our descriptions and images are copyrighted. We checked
with ebay and they honor all copyright laws and in some cases have already
enforced them our behalf. As long as somebody asks permission we usually do
not have a problem sharing our work.

This being said, Rob did check with us in regards to his material being
paired with NWA 3133. I stated, as long as some reputable institution
claims a pairing I have no problem at all with a dealer making this claim.
My problem is that there is still disagreement in regards to NWA 1839 being
paired to NWA 3133. The original classifying institution, the University of
Washington has not made any pairing statements for consideration by the
NomCom. NWA 3133 is still under intense study, the NSF has spent a great
deal of funds in the pursuit of the testing of NWA 3133 and for someone to
borrow this work to describe another stone is wrong. In the latest Bulletin
the descriptions are completely different from one another so there is even
more confusion.

It was said that NWA 3133 was originally called an L7, this statement is
incorrect. It has always been classified as a PAC with affinities to the
CV chondrites as can be seen in the latest Meteoritical Bulletin.

Data from an abstract used to describe NWA 3133, not any other meteorite, is
being used in reference to other meteorites. Some dealers' comments came
right from our ebay adds which are all copyrighted. We do not copy any
other dealer's material and would appreciate the same consideration. I
personally spend several long distance hours on the phone with scientists
and read as much as I can before presenting anything. That way, our
descriptions are as accurate as possible. I spend a great deal of time
learning everything I can about any new meteorite we release and would
suggest the same for anybody else who deals.

Let's all have some consideration for one another's hard work in the future.

Take Care,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock