[meteorite-list] Arizona State Hunting Laws

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 28 20:57:28 2005

Hello all,

The comments below and not from me, but it came from a very good source,
that has spent years hunting in and around Arizona. Name is withheld at
request.

Perhaps it is Federal Land that allows for the removing of some minerals? I
remember reading permit notice that allowed for removing of petrified wood
and as I noted before, "non-renewable" minerals. Obviously, one could not
take meteorites from Federal land....but perhaps impactite and other like
items.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick

   As you know all the land around the crater is either private or state
land. All Arizona State land is State Trust Land even if there is not sign
stating it is. Many popular places for people to get on the land there are
signs so stating it is State Trust Land, but more is not marked. If you get
on the internet and bring up Arizona State Laws and go ot Title 12, Chapter
5 and R12-5-533 'Trespass on State Land' you will read about the laws about
trepassing on State Land. Besides having a hunting or fishing permit
allowing you to go on state land for those purposes a person can buy a
recreational permit for about $20 per year. I am going to type below some of
what the permit says.

      Examples of permitted recreational activities allowed on State Land:
hiking, horseback riding,picnics, family reunions, bicycling, photographing,
sightseeing, birdwatching, organized club event, etc. Camping is restricted
to no more than 5 days.

    Examples of activities NOT ALLOWED under the state permit on State land:
  off-highway vehicle use, rallies, races or cross-country travel(including
3 wheeled or similar type vehicles, motorcycles, sand rails, go-carts, dune
buggies, all terrain vehicles etc.). Target shooting (firearm, archery,
etc.), paint ball games, fireworks, non-recreational or extended camping,
commercial recreational activities or events where a participation fee is
charged (i.e. hot air balloon rides, jeep tours, hayrides, horseback rides,
bicycle races, horse races, ultralight aircraft, etc.) and tours or other
activities involving visitation of prehistoric or historic archaeological
sites.METAL DETECTORS TO SEARCH FOR ARTIFACTS, RELICS, OR TREASURES ON STATE
LAND OR AROUND PREHISTORIC, HISTORIC, ARCHAELOLOGICAL, OR CULTURAL SITES ON
STATE LAND IS PROHIBITED.

THIS PERMIT DOES NOT ALLOW FOR THE COLLECTION OR REMOVAL ANY ANY NATURAL
PRODUCTS FROM STATE LAND INCLUDING ROCKS, FOSSILS, MINERAL SPECIMENT, STONE,
SOIL, FIREWOOD, CACTI, SAGUARO OR CHOLLA SKELETONS OR OTHER PLANTS OR PLANT
MATERIAL, EITHER DEAD ALIVE OR DEAD.

I believe those parts I put in caps really explains the reason that the
state can keep someone from hunting around the crater since one will not get
the permission from the private land owners either.

I hope the above clears up some of the questions being asked about hunting
around the crater.