[meteorite-list] RE: RE: Polishing slices?

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:54 2005

Yes, I'd like to add to that, always wear a mask when sanding rocks!!!
 - 10,000 miners can't be wrong (mainly because they are dead from
silicosis).

In my experience once you have achieved the desired result, it is VERY
important to clean the surface of the rock, since dust sits in the
crevices and hides the detail. I have often wiped specimens with an
alcohol soaked cloth that have supposedly been prepared by the 'experts'
and found the cloth turned black with preparation dust, only to reveal
much unseen detail on the slice!, so its worth taking the trouble to
clean the rock well after sanding....

Best,
Mark Ford