[meteorite-list] RE: RE: Polishing slices?

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:54 2005

--- mark ford <markf_at_ssl.gb.com> wrote:

> Yes, I'd like to add to that, always wear a mask when sanding rocks!!!
> - 10,000 miners can't be wrong (mainly because they are dead from
> silicosis).

If this is a concern for some people, make sure to use a rubber respirator that
you've had fitted to your face. They're not as expensive as it sounds and it's
a simple procedure to make sure it's fitted properly (it should be in the
instructions). But make sure it's specifically designed for dust.

Wearing a paper dust mask is sort of like wearing a rubber band as a automobile
seat belt. It's just a false sense of security - it doesn't do anything for
you in a dusty atmosphere. I doubt polishing a meteorite with sandpaper is a
hazard, but if people are dry cutting meteorites with a saw and creating a lot
of dust, that could be a hazard. Also important to note: it doesn't just hurt
you if you do it on a regular basis. If you get a certain concentration of
dust composed of specific minerals, you could damage your lungs in one cutting
session. Be sure to use some kind of fluid when cutting. In addition to
cooling the specimen and blade, it also has the benefit of controlling dust.
As for sanding stuff by hand, I doubt it will be a problem. Just BE AWARE if
you're making a lot of dust. Hey, the meteorite collecting hobby can be
hazardous to your health in more ways than one...Safety First! (Or as the
contract miners say: Safety pays, but bonus pays better...)

Happy, happy,

Mark