[meteorite-list] Announcing NEW IRON-NWA 2679 Saharan Iron-Ad

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:55 2005

A funny iron.
Is that large inclusion in that pictured slice of NWA2679 schreibersite or
cohenite?

For the pricing of new irons or rare localities of irons I made the
observation in recent time,
that dealers tend to price them quite low in my eyes, at least nor
reflecting the availability unlike the would do with stones,
which is surprising for me. Take f.i. the Uruacu and the nice IAB F, where I
forgot the name and which Farmer sold at 2-2.5$/g, although he's not known
to be a low-price-dealer (no war, we appreciate you 0.99cents auctions on
ebay).
If it would have been any old weathered Texas H5 stone, which wasn't offered
in the last years so often, it would have been priced at least at 5$/g. But
he irons? Priced by type. Very strange. Perhaps it's an influence of the
mass irons offered cheap on ebay, that the sellers do not estimate their
irons as one would expect?
So I think that NWA 2679 is with 15$/g normally priced as it's unusual, and
of course under the premise, that no paired irons will appear or uncle Hamed
in Morocco is still sitting on some 100-pounds-chunks more.
We can't always expect other sellers to throw away exceptionel irons at
silly harakiri prices as it happens actually with Seymchan.

Buckleboo!
Martin