[meteorite-list] Schreibersite & Cohenite

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:56 2005

> Is there a relatively easy and reliable way to visually
> pick the difference between Schreibersite and Cohenite
> in iron meteorites?

Hello Jeff and List,

Here is some information from Buchwald that may prove helpful
in identifying schreibersite and cohenite in hand samples:

Buchwald V.F. (1975) Handbook of Iron Meteorites, Vol. 1:

Cohenite (p. 100):

- cohenite is brilliant w h i t e
- it is very hard, significantly harder than schreibersite
- characteristic of group I irons (also occurs in other irons)

Schreibersite (p. 104):

- schreibersite is magnetic
- it is y e l l o w in reflected light
- compared to cohenite distinctly more brownish
- softer and much more brittle than cohenite

See also: O.R. Norton (2002) Cambridge Encyclopedia of
Meteorites, Appendix C, Minerals in meteorites (pp. 311-313).

Best wishes,

Bernd

To: info_at_meteorites.com.au
    meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com