[meteorite-list] C-Chondrites and Shock

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Mar 23 14:52:50 2005

Matt inquired:

> Aren't the C-Chondrites only aqueously altered and not shocked by
> impact? I read this a while back, but I am not clear on the subject.

Well, my C-chondrites were severely shocked
when they learnt who they belonged to :-))

Hello Matt and List,

Carbonaceous chondrites have been subject to impact shock just like
many other meteorites and they comprise almost the whole shock stage
gamut from S1 (Acfer 082, CV3 for example) to S4 (HaH 281). There are,
however, no carbonaceous chondrites in my databases that are S5 or S6.

Here are some examples:

S1 - Acfer 202, CO3
S2 - Gujba, CB3a
S3 - Bali, CV3.0
S4 - Sahara 98044, CV

Why there are no severely shocked carbonaceous chondrites, I do not
know. Maybe they wouldn't have survived S5 or S6 or maybe we just
haven't found any yet. Any opinions?

Best regards,

Bernd