[meteorite-list] Meteorites with craters

From: fcressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 4 19:53:57 2005

Hello Bob and all,

Way back on April 7, Bob asked:

>I wonder if there have been "impact craters" found on
> any other iron meteorites?

Yesterday I was browsing through Nininger's "Out of the Sky" and found one
that
I don't believe has been mentioned. On Plate XXXIV, photo 4 shows a
picture of an Estherville pellet with a small, perfectly shaped crater.
Nininger's caption states: "One of the Estherville pellets (nickle-iron)
bearing a small explosion pit." It looks identical to the small impact
crater observed on Bob's Glorieta Mountain specimen and the small craters
observed on several Sikhote-alin irons.

For those that don't have a copy of "Out of the Sky, the same individual
pellet can be found among a group of Estherville pellets on page 10 of
Nininger's, "METEORITES A Photographic Study of Surface Features. Part 2.
ORIENTATION

In light of the above, I think it could be worthwhile to check out our
Estherville collection nuggets for evidence of cratering and also the many
small Taza irons we have. We could be pleasantly surprised.

Enjoy and check your pellets!
Frank