[meteorite-list] Is Amgala Official? / New Bulletin

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 11 03:39:28 2005

Hi Michael, Marcin, List,

You are completely right Michael. This is true not only in Botany but also
in the recent meteorite history.
A couple of years ago, I purchesed "Turkmenbashi" and "Heze" (names that
are still on the original labels). Many of us probably still remember that
these names now respectively correspond to the well (best) known meteorites
"Kunya Urgensh" and "Juancheng".
There should be many other such examples, Canon Diablo included.

But in 10 years from now, the former names will probably fade away forever.
Probably the same will happen with Amgala.
And here the decision of the Nom Com to keep "Amgala" as synonym is wise
and helpful for collectors in future who will acquire some meteorite with
its old label.

I have in collection a meteorite with a very old Ward's label mentioning
"Dona Inez". From a rapid look at the pertinent literature I learned that I
was the happy owned of a very old "Vaca Muerta" with a wonderful label....
  So why not keeping the former "Amgala" labels, they could perhaps have
some exotic meaning for the future generations.

Oum Dreyga is just as fine as Juancheng.
Hey Marcin, you'll get used to it soon. You can talk about Amgala but you
should sooner or later re-write your labels with the new name, so as to fit
the official decisions, and remain the serious and reliable dealer you are now.
After all, be happy thet the Nom Com maintained "Bensour", another name
that was used everywhere, everytime, before the official classification....

NB: I am still intrigued by that 670 km wall...

Best to all,

Zelimir

A 15:29 10/05/05 -0700, vous avez ?crit :