[meteorite-list] Kansas Legal Debate: Creation, Evolution and Intelligent Design

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu May 12 23:16:44 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005 21:48:36 -0500, "Jamie" <jme-ekholm_at_cheqnet.net> wrote:

>To me, intelligent design helps bridge the gap with those that believe in
>God or a creator and who also see evolution as a scientific fact.

But for intelligent design to "fit" with the fossil record would require a vast number of seperate
creations at all points along the geological column-- if evolution has not taken place, then one of
two things have to have happened:

1.)the age range given for the fossil record is correct and God steps in and designs and creates
each new species as it appears in the fossil record, as species appear at different times in a
pattern that suggests that new ones developed from old ones.

or

2.)the age range of the fossil record is incorrect and all forms of life on Earth were created at
the same time-- (and the fossil record is possibly the detritus of one really big flood a few
thousand years back when all the dinosaurs and trilobites and gorgonites drowned)

Wanna bet that those pusing for ID to be taught in public schools fall strongly in support of
category 2?

As I said to someone else, the Intelligent Design push isn't a bunch of parents who've read Behe and
want to discuss the irreducable complexity of the Electron Transport Chain in photosynthesis-- it is
a bunch of parents who's argument consists of the fact that they "didn't come from no monkey". The
attempt to make it look like science is just because they lost Scopes II in 1982.