[meteorite-list] An Anthropologist's look at Kansas: Creation, Evolution and Intelligent Design

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 13 15:28:32 2005

Hi Mark and all,
        I had originally planned to ignore this one - but for some reason,
as an educator and, specifically, as an Anthropologist, I am "inspired"
to make an observation.
        First, let me proclaim my bias, as I feel every instructor should:
I believe in a higher power - just not a cartoon big, male humanoid with
a beard. I also believe Jesus of Nazareth was completely in tune with the
truth, and if you read only what was attributed to have come out of his
mouth, you will know he spoke primarily in analogies and you will also
be very hard pressed to see how so called "Christian" religions affiliate
themselves and their dogma with him and his teachings.
        That being said....
        There is good reason for Separation Of Church And State - not the
least of which is the question no one could possibly answer: WHICH
religion. Not only are there the "major" religions such as Christianity,
Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, etc, there are, in fact at least 3,000
religions - ie, each Native American tribe has its own religion - and this
does not count the various sects of the nearly countless religions.
        So, if "Intelligent Design" (AKA "Creation Science" - ruled against
by the US Supreme Court in 1987 as not at all science and teaching of
same in tax supported schools being counter to the constitution) were to
be taught, we must also teach Rastafarian - complete with the "sacrament"
of marijuana, and all branches of the Native American religions (including
the "sacrament" of peyote), and, oh, don't forget the world rests on the
back of a turtle!
        Evolution can be observed easily in the flue, the AIDS virus,
insects, etc. It happens right now, today. Some cultures have a 20 minute
reproductive cycle and one can easily manipulate "evolution" of same and
observe the results in the lab. Exactly how the entire overall pattern
works, all the "laws" and ins and outs, no, they have not been fully
delineated. But neither has the entire workings of the human genome - but
we certainly know the basics.
        So, if some - or even millions - of parents are offended that we
(the US schools) and taxpayer monies are not being used to teach their
children the "truth" as they believe it to be - that the world rests on the
back of a turtle - or that God is a big man that literally made mud pie
Adam and the world on October 23, 4004 bc at 9 AM, or that we are actually
a dream that termites are having.... TOO STINKING BAD!
        That's my opinion, not that it belongs on the meteorite list.
        Michael

--
"You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are."
     -Herb Cohen