AW: AW: [meteorite-list] Re: 13.5 kg lunar

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 14 19:14:42 2005

MexicoDoug wrote:

> Hola Norbert, I fail to see why you perceive a silver lining by
> preventing Lunar specimens to become accessible to the hands of amazed
> parent enthusiasts and collectors and the wonder of inspiring its
> wondrous effects with kids alike. What possible reason other than
> the desire to control or monopolize could you possibly be thinking??

Good evening Doug. I'm surprised by all the things that you read between
the lines. Did I somehow offend you with my email? If yes, I beg your
pardon, it wasn't intended to be offensive. I've no desire to control nor to
monopolize anything. I was just expressing some mixed feelings (yes, you
quoted me out of context).

> Some of us aren't speculators, you know and truly are excluded on
> the base of price. We are appreciate the possibility of an occasional
> Zagami incident. We have managed to be smiling all along without getting
> envious.

Are you trying to set up some "us and them" scenario here? Rich vs poor?
True collector vs spoiled investor? If so, you're picking at the wrong guy
since I'm no member of the "big boy's fraction" - in fact, I'm wearing no
party's color. I worked very hard for each and every piece that I have in my
collection, just to fulfill a dream, and surely not to compromise other
collectors. I'm driving a ten year old worn car, I'm writing this mail on a
five year old laptop as I'm always saving my hard earned bucks for another
meteorite sample - just to follow a dream. So don't tell me:

> Your post indicates that if you decided, you would like material
> available, but only for those who happen to have a huge purse...

I never said that, and you know that I never did. Reading between the lines
is a strange thing, Doug. It's a bit like gazing into a mirror, especially
when you don't know who's or what's on the other side. You don't know me,
Doug, and thus all what you seem to be reading between the lines, IMHO, is
the projection of your own bias.

> And within 20 years after, much fresher Lunar specimens at the price of
> gold will be commonplace...for those of us still around. In the mean
> time, how nice that this finder seems to be happy to share the meteorite
> with scientists! hat is the best start...

To keep this on topic, I agree with the latter statement, but I tend to
disagree with the first. Meteoritics is always science first, but I really
doubt that we will have enough kerosene left in about 20 years to warrant
cheap private expeditions to the Moon, and back. Again, don't get me wrong:
I actually have mixed feelings about that, too, and I really would enjoy a
trip to the Moon, and to hunt for rocks, and meteorites up there when I'm
65. It's a nice dream, but two steps too far away to follow.

Best,
Norbert