[meteorite-list] Portales Valley Classification Info

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 17 15:31:34 2005

Hola Tom,

No one said you are stupid (except your own post)! You are ruffling some
feathers because your comments seem to be too insensitive. "Scientists" -
which can include even you and me - normally have no problem being questioned
(well, sort of...), that is typically how progress is made. But to play that
game on friendly terms, if you have been too "lazy" to lift a finger for you
own education (even if it means via Google!), I would say you are waaaaay too
arrogant to be taken seriously when you start telling these guys who are
busting their buns to turn out papers and teach and have a family life, not to
mention deal with the educational politics and institutional beaurocracies,
without you having the necessary tools to really understand what they are up
against and how science usually works in your neck of the woods. It ain't no fun
having a jack-in-the-box in Kingman pop up saying "You're wrong, I told you
so" - and for those more experienced, it can be downright funny or even
pathetic to listen to that. Meteoritics, like all sciences is developing all the
time as we learn more, sometimes what was a right answer falls from favor
because of the benefit of hindsight which a researcher simply doesn't have!

I won't comment on the Pope and Barringer provocations, you already have
figured them out I hope. But you have a great inquiring mind which could be
kicked into shape with you own initiative to be a good scientist.

Let me suggest you enroll in Pre-Algebra at the Kingman Campus of the Mohave
Community College. You seem to have the time...It starts June 6 and is over
by July 11 and costs $126.

Then with that course you can take the Geology classes below you like and in
the process of lab work, get an appreciation for the scientific mentod and
what it is like to have someone who has hindsight to be pressuring you for
answers you are still discovering, and then having to produce written
evaluations in the way of assignments, lab reports, not even mentioning tests.

Instead of throwing stones from your house and bickering your intelligence
away over the internet, you could even sign up for some of these courses via
the distance education for $60 extra a piece if you are too lazy yourself to
go to class!

Below is the summer schedule for Pre-Algebra, the prerequisite for the
Geology courses, and then I am sure you could sweet-talk the professors into any
of the courses listed. The Geology-Rockhounding course is really cool, if you
opted for just that. Tom, you may not fully appreciate the opportunity you
have living where you do to get out in the field with experts, meet more like
minded people which will add to your interest and finally be able to better
position and found your questions for more satisfying responses. XXX said
this so I am right! is really a hollow response. The math class this summer
would have you set to go forward and classes are only $42 a credit there
special for you in Kingman. Who knows, being lazy might help you be a better
scientist - as long as you aren't toooo lazy as some of your posts get close to
being! Anyway brought to you by your friendly e-neighborhood college
counselor (sp?). Man, how luck you are to have the time and location for this!!!
Don't let it be taken from you...Maybe you can intern at Killgore's:)
Saludos, Doug
_www.mohave.edu_ (http://www.mohave.edu)
$42/credit
Pre-Algebra
211 602 06/06/2005 07/11/2005 - MTWTh HEIDRICH SHERRI L 5:30 PM - 8:20 PM
KINGMAN

GLG 060 ROCK-HOUND GEOLOGY: Covers a study of basic mineralogy, including
rocks, minerals, fossils, and features of the land surface, and techniques of
prospecting for minerals and metals. Special emphasis is placed on local
geology and topics of interest to individual class members. Designed for the
amateur rock hound as well as jewelry makers. Includes field trips.
Credit Hours: 3 (Three lecture; two lab)
Prerequisites: none

GLG 101 PHYSICAL GEOLOGY: An introduction to geologic processes on and
within the Earth. Topics covered include concepts in mineral and rocks,
tectonic processes, weathering and erosion, sedimentation, structural deformation,
landscape development and ground water. Laboratory work and additional
field trips are included to provide observational examples of the above topics
and to learn geologic field techniques of data gathering.
Credit Hours: 4 (Three lecture; three lab)
Prerequisites: ENG 085, 089 and MAT 021 or appropriate score on Assessment
Test
Lab fee=$20

GLG 102 HISTORICAL GEOLOGY: An introduction to the evolutionary history of
the earth and life on the planet. Topics covered include concepts in
stratigraphy, rock dating, tectonic events, global climate, ecologic changes and
the study of faunal and floral succession over geologic periods of time.
Laboratory work and additional field trips are included to provide observational
examples of the above topics and to learn geologic field techniques of data
gathering.
Credit Hours: 4 (Three lecture; three lab)
Lab fee=$20
Prerequisites: GLG 101

GLG 280 GEOLOGY OF ARIZONA: An examination of the geologic regions and
tectonic history of Arizona including the study of rocks and minerals, fossils,
stratigraphic relationships, desert landscape evolution, and emplacement of
ore bodies.
Credit Hours: 3 (Three lecture)
Prerequisites: GLG 101 and 102 or permission from instructor.

GLG 285 FIELD GEOLOGY: Develop skills in the field identification of rocks
and minerals, the interpretation and mapping of rock units, and the
integration of stratigraphic and structural relationships through practice and
applying geologic field techniques and reporting.
Credit Hours: 1 (Three lab)
Prerequisites: GLG 101 and 102 or permission from instructor.

En un mensaje con fecha 05/17/2005 1:51:48 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
peregrineflier_at_npgcable.com escribe:
Dave
"Maybe Tom could use the tip of reading more books and papers and asking
a few less questions that are not really up to speed with the issues."

Not up to speed with the issues, Robert Woolard just posted yesterday (may
17th) new info about PV and a possible new classification! How is it my
talking about the classification of PV is not up to speed? "Read more books
and papers", can you direct me to one published book that talks about
Portales Valley's possible new classification, H7, metallic-melt breccia
(primitive achondrite)",? I don't even know if the new paper has been
published yet, if not, how am I, or anyone supposed to read it?
Thanks, Tom
peregrineflier <><