[meteorite-list] Opportunity Mars Rover Stuck in Sand

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 17 22:36:29 2005

Hi,

    <http://makeashorterlink.com/?B38F2271B>
    Brain teaser. The nearest crater is not a crater shape (a cone), but a
bowl-shaped depression surrounded by a nearly flat rim that is distinct from
the surrounding terrain. Possibly it is a conical crater in the process of
being filled in by the loose (sandy?) soil the rover was stuck in, but this is
not a shape that drifting sand would produce (the rim).
    Also teasing my brain is the fact that the two little craters do not have
their apparent shadows oriented in the same direction, so possibly the
"shadow" is not an albedo feature at all. Tease.
    The fellow with the "crazy" web site that claims to have discovered
Martian fossils plows ahead with just enough plausibility edge to bother me.
I don't "believe" in his "fossils," as many of them are the product of the
power of the human brain to find patterns in ANYTHING. But then, there's the
"rotini."
<http://xenotechresearch.com/rotini01.htm>
    Tell me, dear geologists, tell a poor old befuddled physicist who only
understands simple dependable things like electrons and stars, what geological
process creates rotini? Where can I find a "geological" rotini on Earth?
Have you ever found a "geological" rotini on Earth? Inquiring minds want to
know...
    I'm not the only one it bothers, as see this article by James Oberg:
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4480097/>
    The underlying issue that plagues the whole process of interpreting Mars
Vision is... Time. An authority says that this is a recent feature, "Of
course, recent might mean any time from yesterday to 100 million years ago..."

    Forgive me for finding that dating range a trifle vague. Could ya narrow
that down a little?
    As for the little craters, we have seen the frequency of "dustdevils"
dramatically demonstrated. How long would a little crater last? Hard for me
to imagine them being there very long. But then, I grew up on this busy
planet called Earth, where this kind of stuff happens FAST, so my thinking is
biased whether I like it or not.
    Look at that rippled "sand" (if that's what it is), the wind fluted edge,
the zone of fresh drift just below it. On Earth that fine detail would last
about five minutes, or five days, or maybe five weeks, if things were slow
that month. Has that drift been sitting there for 100,000,000 years without a
grain of sand having been disturbed? Is Mars a museum?
    We've got to send some field geologists there. Yes, I keep saying that
same thing about the Moon, Mars, asteroids, etc. over and over again on the
List, but I'm tired of growing old while watching the human race sit on its
butt.
    Shall I set up a PayPal account to raise funds to send a good geologist
from the List to Mars? Nominate somebody; we'll send him. How about Norm
Lehrman? Up for a field trip, Norm?

Sterling K. Webb