[meteorite-list] Scientists Excited About Potential Impact CraterSite in Missouri

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 23 00:41:35 2005

Hi,

    The Weaubleau crater is part of a suspected crater chain.
    "Eight circular depressions (3-17 km wide) distributed along a 700 km line
across Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois may comprise part of a crater chain (M.R.
Rampino and T. Volk (1996) Geophys. Res. Lett. 23, p. 49.) Two of the eight
structures (Decaturville and Crooked Creek in Missouri) are known from field
studies to be impact craters ~300 Myr old." And it's a very straight line as
can be seen on the map at:
<http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~bottke/crater_chain/chain.html>
    The eight locations are: Hicks, IL; Avon, MO; Furnace Creek, MO;
Crooked Creek, MO; Hazel Green, MO; Decaturville, MO; Weaubleau, MO; Rose,
KS.
    To me, Crooked Creek is the clearest and most obvious impact crater -- its
central rebound peak is indicated, which suggests that it may have had more
rings than it does now, 6 kilometers being a smallish crater to have produced a
central peak, I would think.
    I had a nice aerial of it I could have posted, but now my hard drive just
throws up its hands and tries to look innocent when I search for it. But here's
a different photo and a map:
<http://www.unb.ca/passc/ImpactDatabase/images/crooked-creek.htm>
    The 19 kilometer Weaubleau structure is virtually hidden from ground view,
but it shows up in radar from orbit very nicely. Here's a radar map of
Weaubleau at:
<http://geosciences.smsu.edu/faculty/Evans/impacts.htm>
    Eight hits in a row. Shades of Shoemaker-Levy!
    So, we in the Mid-West have more craters than you guys in Arizona, but your
one is a lot prettier than our eight...

Sterling K. Webb