[meteorite-list] Scientists Excited About Potential Impact CraterSite in...

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 23 02:00:17 2005

Sterling & Ron commented::

> If a meteorite created the structure, it hit some 300 million years ago
> when mid-Missouri was part of an ancient Jurassic Age sea. The strike
> obliterated plant-like crinoids, Koeberl said.

Ancient Jurassic Sea 300 million years ago? ??????? I don't think so...So,
what does the crinoidal limestone (Burlington Limestone) look like
there...did it "obliterate" FOSSILIZED REMAINS or the CRINOID ANIMALS THEMSELVES...any
more info on this comment? Is it an assumption or based on some observation
of some crinoids...I thought their age was ~345 million years old in that
locality...but the article mentions a strike 300 million years old...and the
article refers to a Jurassic age...Jurassic is only 136-190 million years old
(in the Mesozoic), so the article seems to have left an ambiguous
chronostratigraphy- and that limestone is from the Paleozoic Mississipian, or
pennsylvanian, I think...I hope someone could elucidate a bit on this...Also, crinoids
are animals stuck with"plant-like" and the misnomer "Sea Lilies", but look a
lot more like brittlestars, the feathery starfish in many parts of the world,
just they frequently had long stems in prior ages that now look like stacks
of coins when found fossilized.
Saludos, Doug