[meteorite-list] Goodbye list!

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 27 09:46:24 2005

Marcin,

my last 2cents to this issue.

List listen to the Fly-Fighter and Clairevoyant Martin Edmund Altmann:
Soon all, who have smth for sale will claim equal rights for all.
If Mr.Chicago is allowed to advertise daily or even more often, there is no
reason for others not to do so too.

We will have 500-1000 commercial emails by day.
Then we can forget this list.

Proposal:
The two months before the last member will have left, I suggest, the list
moderator, should ask for each ad 1$ fee,
at least to honour his effort to have supplied us for so long time with
that, what we'll have then to call in retrospective,
once to have been the best meteorite forum on the globe.

My personal view:

on this list are almost all internet meteorite dealers and many
dealer-collectors as well as collectors, who naturally have from time to
time smth for sale.
Imagine now, what will happen, if each of them would post daily his/her
offers to the list and would give a note, if a specimen was sold?
We would have several hundreds of emails per day, only with commercial
contents.

But, as I at least believe, this list was founded as forum to discuss
topics about meteorites, to help, if someone has questions, to share
interesting articles and
literature, to keep the members updated about recent developments in
research and actual observations of falls, to help to learn about
meteorites, meteorite hunting, preparation and and and...

For sales exist 6 more lists, where ads explicetily are welcome.
Nobody will have anything against, if Mr.Chicago advertises there each day,
why he has to molest so many members on this meteorite-central-list?

Regardless of the person of Steve Arnold, Chicago - nobody is angry, if
someone offers something for sale or trade, but not 30 mails per month, most
containing even always the same specimens!
Why for God's sake, he can't combine his offers in a single ad per week?

To write every day an ad is unfair angainst all the dealers, who are
disciplined and advertise sparsely even if they have immense amounts of
material for
sale and it's in my eyes absolutely impolite towards all those, who asked
him so
many times to reduce his spam, as they feel disturbed by this.

Or in modern words: It's pure terrorism.

Here, check this:
Martin, without Buckleboo

meteorite_sale
355 Members, Archives: Public
Mailing list for posting wants/sales/trades of meteorites or other
information or objects of interest to the meteorite collector. This list may
be used by individual collectors. Dealers may post when
new/rare/noteworthy?* items are available. (*noteworthy includes price
reductions of at least 25%) Ebay auctions may be advertised only if offering
meteorite_sale list members free shipping and/or a discount of at least 5%.

meteoritesforsale
221 Members, Archives: Membership required
The Meteorites for Sale List is a dedicated forum and marketplace for
advertising meteorite specimens for sale, trade or wanted. Topical
advertisements of equipment and accessories such as rock saws, display
stands and meteorite literature are also welcome. As always it is your own
responsibility to assess the integrity of those with whom you deal. More
Lists for Rockhounds
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/meteoritesforsale/

MeteoriteCollectors
201 Members, Archives: Membership required
Meteorite collectors discuss meteorites and collecting. This group is open
to EVERYONE interested in meteorites. Dealers are welcome to post sales.

meteoriteworld
105 Members, Archives: Public
Would you like look for meteorites, sell your meteorites collection, or
discuss with other meteorite researchers? Please Join the Meteorite World
club. Here, there are the people enthusiastic in the meteorites like you.

eBayMeteorites
73 Members, Archives: Public
This group is for eBay Meteorite auction sales and announcements. Authentic
meteorites and related items only, and International Meteorite Collectors
Association membership preferred. (see IMCA's site http://www.imca.?cc/ )
Once a week, on Sunday 12:00 pm MST the moderator(s) will post this listing
address to the Meteorite-List, but all users can, after they join post here
at any time. Set your auctions to begin or end after 12:00 MST on Sundays,
that way all can see beginning and ending auctions ...(more)

meteoritesau
20 Members, Archives: Public
Meteorites AU is an open forum for collectors and dealers a like to discuss
meteorites here in Australia. Postings for Sales, Trades, Wanteds, related
meteorite services, equipment and products are also welcome! Also please
make use of our calendar for any up coming events of interest or for any
major sightings in your area.