[meteorite-list] "R" help

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 31 02:20:47 2005

Rumuruti's are expected to be weakly magnetic/possibly magnetized.
Pyrrhotite is usually weakly magnetic, and 5% is going to be really weakly magnetic
though I expect it will now deflect a compass needle...but if you look at the
composition of Rumuruti's you can learn a lot.

Oh no Tom don't be hard on Martin just because David Weir only anticipated
999 out of 1000 of our silly questions!!! My lazy take on this stone made
famous by Mike Farmer since as he aptly put it, "they stink like sulfur when he
cuts them" (Mike's descriptions rival those fabled David New Deals). That is
actually a pretty important comment, since it is that slightly iron
difficient Iron Sulfide known as pyrrhotite that apparently is the main magnetic
component of Rumuruti chondrites, which Mike did/does have an awesome specimen in
his collection. Pyrrhotite is what does smell like rotten eggs when
attacked by nibbling meteoritehounds...

That Iron Sulfide in the Rumuruti Chondrites is found, at least according to
the excellent team at Mineralogisch-Petrographisches Institut and Museum,
Germany & Max-Planck-Institut fuer Chemie, Germany, in the form of pyrrhotite
and is the main magnetic mineral of Rumuruti was tested. These ace
researchers went on to quantify that Rumuruti itself is composed of 4.4 volume percent
pyrrhotite. Mind you, that is probably 5% by weight considering its higher
denisity.

Meteoritics V. 29, No. 2, pp. 275-286 March 1994
"Mineralogy and Chemistry of Rumuruti: The First Meteorite Fall of the New R
Chondrite Group" by Schulze, H.; Bischoff, A.; Palme, H.; Spettel, B.;
Dreibus, G.; Otto, J.

Now, on to your question regarding how magnetic. Well do you mean magnetic
in a Dave Freeman sense? Because, yes, now that you have ignited Ramona
Geraldine Quimby (Beezus's little sister)'s curiosity under the whole meteorite
world sticking rare earth magnets powered by the dark side of the force,
everybody's Rumuruti's are probably magnetized to saturation. They can test to
see if the Rumuruti's pick up iron filings now - and some may truly have
magnetized meteorites, and in the process have lost scientific value just like
putting one of those bad-ass magnets on specimens from a new cassette tape
collection to see if they are magnetic (well, are they?). The funny thing is they
were probably weakly magnetized extraterrestrially before.

Furthermore, the Pope's, France's and Italy's team comment on the magnetic
profile of the Rumuruti's, we can learn from harvesting Google, that the
Rumuruti exhibits minimal magnetic anisotropy. That means God's original
recording of preferential magnetization axes recorded somehow in outerspace since the
mineral pyrrhotite does orient magnetically should happen, but it became
unoriented afterwards. Note unoriented and oriented are terms for magnetization
anisotropy here and not flight markings. This is noted by these noble
researchers and explained that they were probably "recrystalized" after the
original formation. I guess they are suggestion that the pyrrhotite was heated
above 350 degrees C which ought to do the trick. Unless you take a powerful
enough magnet and try to reorient it depending on where you stick the magnet...

It is important to know if you are dealing with an isotropic magnetic
material or not when you ask questions like how magnetic - as results can really
depend on the orientation of the stone and if you don't know this you can get
pooh pooh out of the test if not careful...

Lunar and Planetary Science XXXVI (2005)
AN IMPACT ORIGIN FOR THE FOLIATION OF ORDINARY CHONDRITES.
J. Gattacceca1, P. Rochette, M. Denise, G. Consolmagno, and L. Folco,
Universit? Aix-Marseille III, CEREGE, BP80, 13545 Aixen-Provence, France, MNHN,
Paris, France, Specola Vaticana, Vatican City State, Museo Nazionale Antartide,
Siena, Italy.

Finally, the fact that pyrrhotite is magnetic (magnetized) should come as no
surprise. Martian meteorites especially suspected of being from certain
regions of Mars contain this mineral, and as a matter of fact Mars (Geo)ologists
have speculated that certain less magnetic areas on the Martian surface were
unoriented as a result of impacts, etc... That's another good reason npot
to &#(*# with the magnetization of your Mars rocks. That tidbit of
information in the magnetism just might tell you what part of a planet your rock is
from. Or for that matter what part of the Rumuruti parent body...

Saludos, Doug

==================
En un mensaje con fecha 05/30/2005 6:29:53 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
Altmann_at_Meteorite-Martin.de escribe:
But Tom!

I won't tell the solution.
Try David Weir's Studies! http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9278/
It is always the first place to look for answers for questions like yours
now. Simply the best place on web
and I bed in this respect better than your books.

Buckleboo!
Martin