[meteorite-list] "R" help

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 31 02:58:14 2005

Hello All,
R-chondrites contain a very small amount of metal and/or magnetism.
Although a very slight pull is detectable with the very strongest
rare-earth magnet, most will not give any pull at all. However, Rob
(Wesel) was correct in saying that NWA 801 is [very] highly magnetic.
This is because NWA 801 is a CR chondrite, not an R chondrite (and CR
chondrites tend to contain a good deal of free metal and armoured
chondrules). I'm not sure about most R-chondrites, but NWA 753 (R3.8
I believe) does seem to contain a good deal of what appears to be
numerous fine particles of iron sulfides dispersed throughout the
matrix -- does anyone else have any slice(s) that show this?
Regards,
Jason