[meteorite-list] Prospecting for meteorites

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Nov 18 19:13:48 2005

Hi,

    For List members not familiar with the Chinguetti story,
see this web page (and following pages) which recount the story:
<http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/E/ends/meteorite1.html>

    Theodore Monad's paper:
<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1989CRASM.309..547M>

    A picture of the supposed fragment:
<http://www.meteoritestudies.com/protected_CHINGUET.HTM>

    Google will get you 432 hits if you want more...

    Its existence is still a controversy. Oddly, the supposed fragment
is widely accepted as a "real" meteorite, while the mass from which
it was removed is not, which seems a little paradoxical.

Sterling K. Webb