[meteorite-list] Prospecting for meteorites

From: michel FRANCO <michel_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 19 03:06:53 2005

Hi,

Thanks Sterling for the additionnal info about the Chinguetti meteorite
story.

I suggest to say that there is no more controversy about the existence
of the huge mass and to stop spending time searching it. The dynamic of
fall teaches that any mass larger than 200 tons will vaporize upon
landing. The possible mass of the Chinguetti hill is over thousand of
tons. For me it is physically impossible the find this huge mass.

Then it is true that a meteorite was found nearby that hill and that the
sun burnt rocks in the hot Sahara are covered with desert varnish, often
very black and sometimes similar to slightly alterated fusion crust. The
confusion was possible before we had knowledge of Eugene Shoemaker works
about impact craters.

My 2 cents.

Best regards

Michel FRANCO

> Its existence is still a controversy. Oddly, the supposed fragment
is widely
> accepted as a "real" meteorite, while the mass from which it was
removed is not, which > seems a little paradoxical.