[meteorite-list] re: Rare roman coin with meteorite, theme on Ebay

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 5 00:13:56 2005

> History is history. I don't see why we should have to
> devide it into "history of the good guys"
> that can be kept, and "history of the bad guys" that must
> be wiped from the Earth.
...[snip]
> If you bought one of those memorial coins supposed to be
> made with steel from the World Trade Center, does that mean
> that you support Osama for destroying them? People like
> collecting things related to famous people or events-- it doesn't
> have to mean that they endorse those people or events.
> Events and actions are meaningful. History is neutral.
...[etc].

Sorry Darren, but I think you are pretty naive here.

You cannot pretend a Hitler autograph is in the same category as one of say
Marylin Monroe; just an item of historical interest. Hitler memorabilia are
quite often not collected because of their historic value or because Hitler was
and is famous.

Let me put it clearly: Hitler memorabilia are quite often collected by people
that march in the streets on the birthday of Hitler, dressed in black leather
boots with bald shaved heads and carrying red, white and black coloured flags
with thinly disguised swastika's, shouting slogans like "Auslander aus!". These
prints of Hitler hang over their beds, along with flags with not-so-disguised
swastika's, and these people will deny the holocaust when you talk with them in
private.

If you get the chance, you should visit Dresden or another Neo-Nazi stronghold,
preferably on a date that has Nazi-historic connotations. That will open your eyes.

Now this might not mean much to you, but it means much to many Europeans, both
nazi victims and their children who are second generation war victims (and I
know all too well what that means...) as well as historically sensitive
civilians of Germany and the former occupied territories. History is not neutral
here in formerly occupied Europe with regard to the Nazi era. That era is still
very close, and the suffering was immense and goes on untill this day. It barely
is history in that sense, it is not something that is over and done with.

Why do you think that countries like Germany and my country (Holland) have laws
that prohibit selling Mein Kampf or publicly showing swastika's? You do realize
that Holland is (in)famous for being very liberal in many things do you? Why do
you think we are not so liberal on this point? The answer is above.

Again, I reiterate that the critique Matteo has gotten, is the result of his own
choices. He should *know* how sensitive these things are. If he chooses to
ignore that, he'll have to bear the critique and accept that people will condemn
him. That has been his own willing choice.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)