[meteorite-list] wire saw

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 23 18:51:14 2005

> you cant use an edm machine as far as i know to cut an iron - at least not
> one that big.. you would need to use a diamond wire saw i owuld thin - an
> edm is an abaltive proces where a pulse of electricity from a sacrificial
> wire literaly blasts away bits of material - while they can make fine
> patterns in thin metal that cant cut through signifigant thicknesses

Hi Stan
Cutting big surfaces in something like Dronino is a bad idea. But cutting
for example clean and compact Munionalusta is just better. My biggest
meteorite was 9x9cm full slices from Morasko with weathered weins inside
what make cutting longer. One slice was cut in 6 hours. This was pain, but
from the other side I get perfect flat slices with minimal cut loses.
>From the other hand...........
This size of slices I should cut using min. 1mm thin diamond blade. This
will take min 6 hours also and produce bad surface where I need to grind
another 1mm to make slices flat.

So I use only one method for cutting irons - EDM :)

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195