[meteorite-list] Tibetanites

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 27 13:40:27 2005

Michael,Darren,Chris(because your are interested in
folklore) and List
  Please re-read my post. I said there is absolutely
NO scientific proof tektites ever fell in Tibet, nor
archaelogical evidence that they were "used" or
existed in the past in Tibet. Monks do not know
everything....I have seen some of them buy and sell
fake dZi beads in China and Taiwan. I know of
Taiwanese dealers making dZi beads and fake Tibetan
Sky Metal amulets for the Nepal and Tibet market. The
Chinese are very keen to make a buck on any scam
possible.
  Yes, I have read your article more than once. One
person`s word (your seller) does not make it
scientifically sound.
  The "Tibetan" tektites actually showed up in the
market in Taiwan one or two years prior to showing up
in Tucson. Mostly the US because of the metaphysical
boom in magic rocks with "energy".
  At that time, anything real or not from Tibet,
mostly not, was at a fever-pitch sale in Taipei.
Well-made fake dZi beads made in India were selling
for as much as 200,000-500,000US$, Sky Metal amulet
500-1000US$, fake Tibetian hand-written Budhist Bibles
1000-5000US$...get the pattern? The Tibetan tektites
never made a splash in Taiwan because there were
already Thai tektites on the market and frankly no one
beleived the sellers. Buyer beware.
  I have lived in Asia now for more than 20 years and
I think I have a little more experience about what
goes on in the Chinese and Asian markets and among the
dealers. Also I understand their cultures perhaps
somewhat more than many Westerners.
  Many Thai and Lao tektites end up in Hong Kong and
in Guanzhou for sale as coming from China.
  Make your own conclusions. I will not sell anything
labeled as a "Tibetian" tektite until I or another
scientist finds one in the field without the help of a
 local with a "salted" field. Science requires Proof
and NOT Belief, or just someone`s word that just
happens to be profiting from the sale of them.
  Respectfully, Dirk...Tokyo IMCA#5677

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6565037549