[meteorite-list] Purple (or bluish green) in a (stone) meteorite

From: Marc Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 30 17:37:07 2005

Greetings

   Here's another possibility - ringwoodite is a blue/purple mineral that
is a shock-metamorphic polymorph of olivine. It's quite pretty,
actually, and has been noted in several meteorites. It would take some
'splaining to put it in the middle of a troilite grain, but what the
hell, eh?

Cheers,
MDF

> Hello again,
>
> I forgot to mention that I found a similar-looking inclusion in my
> NWA 1584 (LL5) slice when I looked at it under my microscope last
> January 29.
>
> I can send Jeff K. from "Down Under" a copy of the JPEG so that
> he can put it on his website for everyone to look at in case they
> are interested. I described it as "bluish-purple/vilet inclusion".
>
> Considering my age, I may see colors slightly different from what
> "younger eyes" see - people who are into visual astronomy know
> about that phenomenon.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bernd

Marc Fries
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Carnegie Institution of Washington
Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Rd. NW
Washington, DC 20015
PH: 202 478 7970
FAX: 202 478 8901
-----
I urge you to show your support to American servicemen and servicewomen
currently serving in harm's way by donating items they personally request
at:
http://www.anysoldier.com
(This is not an endorsement by the Geophysical Laboratory or the Carnegie
Institution.)