[meteorite-list] Mysterious Booms Rattle San Diego

From: Thaddeus Besedin <endophasy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 6 00:52:52 2006

Booms are a common occurrence in Oceanside, and I am more likely to hear such sonic phenomena - I live directly South of Camp Pendleton (approx. 0.6 km to the SE). training mortar, cannon, artillery, and bombing occur almost daily. These ranges are several kilometers from the closest civilian habitation, so one perceives a distant low frequency complex percussive succession - as one would expect. We've had heavy storms in the area hit us, so i would be skeptical as to the probability of material entry. Who knows what kind of weapons are actually tested or otherwise detonated? Just look at the spectacular Vandenburg missile tests - the potential for weapon/aircraft tests is quite usual.

Ron Baalke <baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
http://www.kfmb.com/stories/story.45308.html

Mysterious Booms Rattle San Diego
KFMB News 8 (San Diego, California)
April 4, 2006

San Diegans are wondering what's behind a series of mysterious booms
heard across the county Tuesday morning.

The booms were heard at around 8:45 a.m. and rattled residents, causing
a flood of calls to sheriff's dispatchers.

No measurable seismic activity was recorded in San Diego County Tuesday
morning, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Local military
officials had no reports of a sonic boom happening today.

Marines at Camp Pendleton conducted mortar training Tuesday morning, but
officials say they were unaware if the noise was a result.

There were no reports of injuries or damages.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/8464357/detail.html

Mystery Boom Rattles Windows, Nerves
NBCSandiego.com
April 4, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- A loud noise rattled residents -- and windows -- areas
around Marine Corps Air Station Miramar a little before 9 a.m. on Tuesday.

Several people reported to NBC 7/39 and NBCSandiego.com that the loud
noise shook the windows of their homes.

Some people thought the boom was an earthquake, but the United States
Geological Survey had no record of an earthquake occurring in San Diego
County at that time.

"I was like, 'Uh-oh, here comes a big earthquake,' " said one woman.
"But it didn't last too long -- just about 30 seconds."

A man in the area when the boom took place told NBC 7/39 that he thought
the source of the noise was something quite different.

"I thought a plane came down, because it came from the west, and the
airport's out there," he said. "Usually when we get a sonic boom, it
comes from the east of Miramar."

Military officials, however, said there were no reports of a sonic boom
in the county.

People in such areas as Torrey Pines, Kearny Mesa and El Cajon reported
hearing the noise.