[meteorite-list] New to list - an introduction

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 21 11:53:25 2006

Hi Mike,

Welcome back to meteorites and Welcome aboard! It is good to have a few more collectors around in Washington State. One of my main goals is to find the sixth meteorite every found in this state. I believe I found a very small one some time back in Lake Washington with a magnetic sluice box but was told it was not a meteorite and lost the chain of custody. A few years later I polished an edge and saw what I thought to be a chondrule so I resubmitted it for classification and it did turn out to be a meteorite.

The problem is, even though I clearly remember finding it and had another hunter with me, I can not say with 100% certainty that it might not have been accidentally switched with another piece in my collection since I did not keep perfect accounting of the specimen. Memories are not accurate enough to make such a claim so I will continue to search. Now, I take several images on the spot of everything I find with a GPS in the picture and label it immediately. Unfortunately with thousands of hours in the field in this state I have never been able to find another one. That is why I like to go to the Mojave where you are almost guaranteed to find something if you spend enough time.

What I did find was a great excuse to get some exercise, relaxation and met a heck of a lot of good people. Enough about my unsuccessful experiences hunting this state, I hope you enjoy the information you glean from this List.

Kind Regards,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock