[meteorite-list] Hunters and recoverererers

From: Lee <vegas_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 28 12:07:17 2006

Random surface found arrowheads are NOT bound into any type of context, no more than finding a 100 year old silver coin at the beach is! These were made by the BILLIONS, used by the BILLIONS, and lost or broken by the BILLIONS. What difference does it make to you, me, or the Natural History Society of Hooterville that someone found an arrowhead? Even if it is a different style than normally found in the area, it could just as well have been dropped there by a travelling collector 50 years ago, or washed there during any one of hundreds of floods. Did you know they often find ancient Roman and Greek coins when excavating American colonial sites? This doesn't mean that the Romans were here first, it means that some colonists brought over a collection of coins and some ended up being lost. What if we found a whole midden stomping through a field in Iowa? What difference does it make? Do we really need to scientifically study every single item and every single place that anyone has ever cooked a meal or
pitched a tent? Does it matter if we confirm for the 500th time that Plains Indians ate bison, small animals,wild berries, and anything else they could find? Who do you suggest pay for this?

A "scientist" has just announced, upon examining two tiny partial fossil jaws found in river sediment in Africa, that they are 37 million years old, are ancestors of the primates, and that they PROVE that our ancestral primates originated in Africa. Also, due to one of the teeth having a short root, it PROVES that the animal was nocturnal with large eyes to see in the dark. This is crap! Every time a self-proclaimed expert gives a crackpot opinion to support his preconceived ideas, people line up to ooh and aah, until the next crackpot comes along.

For heaven's sake, this is a METEORITE list! Meteorites, with the exception of those rare examples that have been turned into cultural objects by their ancient, original finders, have NO cultural or environmental significance! If you have a 200 kg main mass that you dug up in a field in the middle of Nebraska, it really doesn't matter to the scientific community where or when it fell. It only matters to the meteorite collecting community. Meteorites fall EVERY DAY! What do you expect to find that would in the least but be important in a random pit dug to find meteorites? Maybe farmers should be banned from plowing their fields, they might disturb something that a handful of people think is important. It's funny, I don't see those scientists going out of their way to conserve these areas. How many museums have HUGE collections buried away in a storehouse, rotting away for lack of funds and interest by both the public and themselves. If there is nothing exciting enough for the academic to be able to f
urther their career through publication, the artifact is just tossed aside, either at the site or in the basement back at the foundation, never to be seen again.

Many things ARE deteriorating at a remarkable rate. Fertilizers, acid rain, and other chemicals are damaging artifacts and specimens still underground at a prodigious rate. 1,500 year old ancient coins & artifacts found in Britain are often much more deteriorated than similar finds made only 25 to 50 years ago, due to contamination in the ground water supply.

Lee Cornelius