[meteorite-list] People Doing Strange Things to Meteorites

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 7 13:19:30 2006

Dear Dave, Mike and List,

  I also find this appalling; first we had carved
apes, carved turtles and other debauchery (by other
meteorite dealers followed by others)......what next
carved coprolites made from meteorites??
  This seller also "appears" to be a member in good
standing in the IMCA (according to what I read or
misread on his posting). Is this responsible
collecting? or selling as member?
  Art no! A meteorite alone is real art. What is
there more beautiful than to look at than the
beginning of ALL, time frozen since time began,
untouched my some idiot blobbing plastic and calling
it art?
  My other gripe is the "hammer busters" of rare
meteorites that beat it into small dust or whack it to
bits. Yes, sometimes it is necessary; but NOT for the
sake of money only.
  Thank you for taking a stand and calling this
sellers "art" just what it is; dung (sorry those are
my words)!
  Best Always in LIFE, Dirk Ross...Tokyo

  This is not meant to be a personal attack on the
above seller(s).
  Please just consider that meteorites are not to be
treated as "plastic" consumables. I do not even know
the seller of this "creation of...").
  Also I DO NOT mean to imply that the IMCA condones
this member`s behavior (IF in fact he/she is a
member). drs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110015803472&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:2