[meteorite-list] A new 676 g meteorite went through storagebuilding in M...

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 11 01:12:19 2006

Anne

    The dividing line between Jim's guess (3169 gm.) and
my guess (3000 gm.) is 3084.5 gm. The weights Morten
gave are in the range of 2861 to 3061 gm. depending on
the mass of stone #4 which he gives as 600 to 800 gm.,
so technically I have at least a 15.5 gm. lead in the Great
Race if stone #4 is 800 gm (and a 215.5 gm. lead if it's
600 gm.), but I go with the pessimistic alternative of 800.
    If another stone of 552.21 gm. or greater is found, Alex
Seidel will have the lead. If another stone of more than
15.5 gm. but less than 552.21 gm. is found, Jim will inherit
the lead instead. But Mike is right. Not only will farmers
cut their fields (and be likely to find a rock in their crop
the hard way!) but the natural die-off of vegetation with
the onset of winter will make the discovery of another
stone more likely -- if there are still searchers.
    As four of the five stones found were searched for
and have weights of 676 to 800 gm., if another stone
is found, the odds would then favor Alex as the eventual
winner of the Carbonaceous Derby! As for when the
Derby ends, well, how about the end of the year 2006?
    But if you're dropping the flag right now, I'm breaking
out the champagne! (Whoops, no champagne in the
fridge. How about Ginger Ale? That looks kind of
champagnesque, well, if you mix it with 7-Up, it does,
then add some Baccardi Gold... Hey! it's a SCIENCE
experiment, that's all.)

Sterling K. Webb