[meteorite-list] Pluto's Fate to be Decided by 'Scientific andSimp

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 00:07:28 2006

Hi,

    There's a long history of hunting for a "large" planet
beyond Pluto, Pickering proposed one, Lyttleton, and
others besides Lowell. They were all looking for a small
gas giant, a sub-Uranus sized dim gas giant (which is
what Pluto was presumed to be for the first 30 years
after its discovery).
    The search was a mathematical one, working on
"residuals" -- those "irregularities in the orbits of Uranus
and Neptune" -- but it depends on mass assumptions.
    So the accurate determination of Neptune's mass
rules out "large" bodies in the gas giant sense, but a
"Plutonian" planet the size of Mars, with a density of
2.0 would have a mass of 0.04 to 0.05 of that of the
Earth. At a distance of 150 to 200 AU, its gravitational
influence on Neptune and Uranus would be less than
the less-massive but much nearer Pluto, and Pluto's
perceptible (in orbit timing) influence is very, very
small.
    In terms of "gravitational" detection, forget it.
    A Mercury-sized body at such distances would be
even more undetectable; it would mass 0.008 to 0.010
Earth mass, pretty puny. At a distance of 150 to
200 AU, it would gravitationally "invisible" and
damn near optically invisible as well.
    Some of the "TBO" planets have respectable
albedoes. Pluto can be as bright as 0.50 to 0.65, but
others are quite dim, < 0.10. Pluto was probably
discovered first because of a) luck and b) it was
the brightest of the "Plutonian" planets.
    And, hey! I was being cautious in talking about
Mars-size and Mercury-size Plutonians. How about
a Venus/Earth sized body, density 1.8, mass 0.28
Earths, at 242 AU. Its orbital period would be close
to 4000 years (3720 years if eccentricity was ~0.0,
which it wouldn't be), and an albedo of 0.07?
    It would be very dim, and as for gravitational
detection, it would hardly have moved in the
century we have (crude) data for the other planets:
it would be nestled well inside the error bars...
And remember 2003EL61 and 2005FY9 -- both
are almost as bright as Pluto; they can be imaged
with a 12" scope ONCE THEIR LOCATIONS
ARE KNOWN, but otherwise, they hide out very
well. Finding them with a 12" scope would take
you a century or two...
    Loan me such a Venus/Earth-sized plutonian,
and I'll stash it at 242 AU somewhere in the K-belt,
and we'll see just how it takes to find it! But watch
me; I'm tricky. I might give it a high inclination orbit.

Sterling K. Webb