[meteorite-list] 'Plutons' Push Planet Total Up To 12

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 13:33:32 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:26:39 -0700, you wrote:

>science. If you were teaching in 1930 would you have left the Solar System with
>8 planets? or in the early 1700s, kept the Solar System at 6 planets?
>Traditionally, the Earth is the center of the universe, why not let well enough
>alone?

The difference is, the idea that the Earth is the center of the solar system was
proven incorrect, so that "theory" was replaced with one with the sun at the
center. Wherther or not Pluto is a planet is a semantic opinion, though--
little different than debating on how many angels can dance on the head of a
needle. People have the right to disagree with opinions, even if it is with the
opinions of the top astronomers in the field. Myself, I think the opinion of
calling KBOs and Ceres planets seems to be just a way to keep calling Pluto a
planet and makes a royal mess that will just get worse as more KBOs are
discovered. So, not only in 1930, in 2006 if I were teaching I'd want to teach
that there are 8 planets, plus KBOs, asteroids, and comets.